Basic Yacht Maintenance
This course provides a grounding in the essential maintenance tasks required to keep a modern cruising yacht on the water.
This is a hands-on course. You will gain an understanding of various maintenance tasks that help to keep your yacht safe and operational.
We teach you how to take simple measures to prevent mechanical breakdown at sea and to rectify defects which do not require workshop support.
Day 1 - General overview / marine electrics / ropework / safety and general equipment servicing
- Managing maintenance (winter refit, service schedule, defects) / legal obligations
- Service schedule (winches, engines, sails, ropes, safety equipment, electrical, steering)
- Annual out of water tasks (antifoul, anodes, keelbolts, rudder bearings, seacocks)
- Inventory management and defects list
- Rope types, whipping, splicing
- 12v electrical system
Day 2 - RYA Diesel Engine Course
- Operations of marine diesel engines
- Engine checks
- Routine maintenance
- Bleeding the system
Day 3 - General yacht / winch servicing
- Winch servicing
- Rig / steering check
- Pump servicing
Learn from experienced industry experts at Flying Fish. Our yacht maintenance course is run by friendly instructors and technicians with intimate knowledge of their subject.
For boat owners the skills and knowledge you will gain on this course will very likely save you money in the long run.
Tuition, and certification.
- RYA Diesel Engine certificate
- Basic Yacht Maintenance
Before you start
- No previous experience is required.
- This course is ideal for boat owners and operators who would like a better understanding of the operating systems on their boats and how to service and maintain the equipment for safety and convenience.
- We recommend you combine this with our Dayskipper or Yachtmaster courses.