Dinghy Sailing / Windsurf Instructor Fast Track
The programme is for water sports enthusiasts who want to join an inspiring training adventure in a superb location and fast-track their progress to RYA instructor level in two sports.
To gain the RYA instructor qualifications in both sports you will need to demonstrate good sailing skills and windsurfing skills, sound theory knowledge, excellent safety awareness, and an effective coaching style.
The Flying Fish Fast Track program has been designed to develop your skills rapidly in a fantastic sailing environment.
The schedule includes an inspiring mix of on-water skills training, shore-based instruction, instructor training, and essential first aid and powerboat training.
We also include basic training in paddle boarding and an introduction to Wingsurfing to improve your water skills all-round.
You will develop an imaginative approach to teaching safe and efficient sailing and windsurfing, as well as the theory that underlies the sports.
Week 1 - WS Lev 1/2 skills
Week 2 - WS Intermediate skills / First Aid
Week 3 - WS Intermediate skills / RYA PB 2
Week 4 - RYA Start Windsurfing Instructor
Week 5 - RYA / AS Dinghy Level 2/3
Week 6 - RYA Race training / Spinnaker handling
Week 7 - RYA Day Sailing / Seamanship skills
Week 8 - RYA Dinghy Instructor
Sailing location and conditions
The course is based in an absolutely spectacular setting at Middle Harbour Yacht Club on Sydney Harbour, the undisputed capital of the Australian sailing world.
The weather is generally warm, sunny, and windy and the sailing area is extensive with plenty of stunning beaches just a short sail away.
Middle Harbour is an excellent playground for developing your sailing and windsurfing skills in a quick time. You will experience magnificent sailing in a beautiful location.
Equipment and staff
We have a fleet of Laser Bahia and RS Zest training dinghies, TAHE windsurf boards with a mix of sail sizes and Highfield rigid inflatable rescue boats. We also have a range of paddleboards and a few wings.
For shore-based training, we have a comfortable waterside classroom equipped with a variety of modern teaching aids and equipment.
Our team of experienced instructors will guide you through your programme in the friendly and professional style that is the hallmark of Flying Fish.
Where to stay ashore
If you don't live in Sydney you will need a place to stay for the duration of your course.
We have limited availability in Flying Fish serviced crew apartments in Manly, staying with other Flying Fish customers on one of Australia's most beautiful beaches. Or you can book your own place.
- Tuition, logbook, pre-course reading, training resources, and certification.
- PFDs are provided and we can loan you wet weather clothing if required.
Qualifications and skills
- Intermediate SUP skills
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 / TCP First Aid / RYA Safe and Fun
- RYA Start Windsurfing Instructor
- RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor
Before you start
- There are no formal pre-course requirements.
- We can accept you on this programme as a beginner, although you will benefit from having mastered the basics of at least one of the sports before you join us.
- On passing the RYA Windsurfing and Dinghy Instructor qualifications you are ready to start work as an instructor.
- Being dual-qualified you will be more attractive to employers who run both sports at their schools.
- You will find plenty of work opportunities, particularly during the Australian and Mediterranean summer season.