Skip to content

Flying Fish

Flying Fish is the trading name for Flying Fish Australia Pty Ltd. Flying Fish UK is an independently owned company that acts as an agent for Flying Fish Australia.

For details of the governing bodies that accredit Flying Fish training courses see the awarding authorities tab on the About us page.

No catches

There is always some small print to read and we have tried to keep ours to a minimum. There are no catches!

When you make a booking with Flying Fish you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms and conditions below.

Terms and Conditions

  1. If you book for another person or persons you are confirming that you have the authority to accept these booking conditions on their behalf.
  2. When you book with Flying Fish in Australia or pay a deposit in Australian dollars (AUD) at you are making a contract with Flying Fish Australia Pty Ltd to be construed under the laws of New South Wales.
  3. Information given by you in a booking form online and by Flying Fish in an acceptance email forms part of our contract.
  4. Flying Fish reserves the right to make such changes to the advertised programme as are necessary due to unavoidable circumstances.
  5. To secure a booking you need to make a payment. When the fees are $1,000 or less you must pay in full. For orders over $1,000 you can secure your booking with a deposit of $1,000.
  6. When you book a yacht charter you must pay a deposit of 50% of the total cost of your booking.
  7. The balance of fees is payable 60 days before your start date.
  8. When you book with Flying Fish we commit resources to your event and incur costs and business risks in servicing your order. In the event of your cancellation the following charges apply: If you cancel with more than 60 days’ notice we will hold 20% (up to a maximum of $1000) of your order value as credit and we will refund the balance to you. If you have paid a booking deposit it will be held as credit. / If you cancel with 30-60 days’ notice, we charge 50% of the order value as a cancellation fee and will provide you with a credit for the other 50% / If you cancel with less than 30 days’ notice there is no refund or credit provided. Credits may be used for any booking with Flying Fish up to 24 months from the date of cancellation.
  9. If you cancel a booking made by a discount pre-paid voucher there is no refund.
  10. In the unlikely event of a cancellation by Flying Fish a full refund will be made and Flying Fish will not be liable for any consequential loss or damage.
  11. In the event your course or event is cancelled or curtailed as a result of a ‘Force Majeure’ Flying Fish will provide you with equivalent credit to the unconsumed part of the contract valid for use up to 24 months from the date of cancellation
  12. You are recommended to take out insurance to cover cancellation due to medical or other unavoidable causes.
  13. You are required to hold medical insurance for the period of your course or event unless your activity is wholly within your country of residence and you are entitled to unlimited medical treatment by virtue of your residency status.
  14. If you are booking accommodation with Flying Fish you agree to accept the accommodation allocated
  15. Flying Fish trainers will use their best endeavours to ensure you achieve the advertised qualifications but no guarantee is offered in this respect.
  16. The passages and mileages listed for yachting courses are advertised in good faith but as they are weather dependent they cannot be guaranteed.
  17. You agree to comply with Flying Fish operating procedures issued for your course or event.
  18. Flying Fish excludes liability for death or physical or mental injury to the customer howsoever caused arising from or in connection with the delivery of services under this agreement.
  19. The customer indemnifies Flying Fish against all claims and liabilities arising from the death or physical or mental injury to the customer howsoever caused arising from or in connection with the delivery of services under this agreement.
  20. The customer acknowledges and accepts that boating activities carry inherent risks such as those arising from physical exertion, slips and falls, adverse weather conditions, equipment failure, remoteness from medical services.
  21. You can read the Flying Fish Privacy Policy for information on how we handle your personal data.

Dr Seuss Equal opportunities

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish
Flying Fish supports the principle of equal opportunities and opposes discrimination on the grounds of age, gender, colour, race, nationality, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or social background.

We aim to ensure that equality of opportunity is promoted and that discrimination, whether direct or indirect, is eliminated in our employment practices and in access to our training and qualifications.

Black fish, white fish, old fish, new fish (Dr Seuss)
If you believe you have been the subject of discrimination, please talk to us to help us correct the problem.

Travel insurance

You must hold insurance for medical expenses when you join Flying Fish outside your home country, including cover for your sports activities.

We recommend you also have insurance in place to cover course fees in case of unavoidable cancellation, and for personal belongings in case of loss or damage.

European Health Insurance Card

Residents of the European Union visiting another EU country are strongly recommended to hold a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Even if you have private medical cover or travel insurance which pays medical costs, holding an EHIC will simplify your attendance at a European hospital or medical centre.

Visa information

Check if you need a visa to join Flying Fish!

The links below will help you to research your status and to apply online.

In most cases, your visa will be confirmed electronically without delay.

Consular advice

If in doubt, you should contact a consular office of the country you are going to visit, in the country where you normally live.

Search our courses and events worldwide

Which visa?

If you need a visa to join Flying Fish it will be a Visitor Visa or Holiday Visa, NOT a Student Visa.

If you apply for a Student Visa it will be refused and this may prejudice any later application you make for the correct visa.

If you are looking for employment after training with Flying Fish, you may need a Work Visa.


If you hold an Australian passport you do not need a visa for Greece. If you are resident in Australia but not an Australian citizen, please see the website of the Greek Embassy in Canberra for information on applying for a visa

Greece is a signatory to the Schengen Agreement which has standardised the visa requirements of 25 European states and allows holders of the Schengen visa free travel across their internal borders.

If you need a visa for Greece you should apply for a Schengen visa at a Greek consulate in the country where you normally live.

Residents of Australia who need a visa for Greece can apply online here

United Kingdom

Citizens of most countries can enter the UK for a period of up to six months without formalities.

If you do need a visa to join Flying Fish in the UK it will be a General Visitor visa.

DO NOT apply for a Student Visa.

To find out if you need to apply for a visa go to the Visas and Immigration section of the UK Government website.


Apart from New Zealanders, everyone from overseas needs a visa to enter Australia.

If you are joining a Flying Fish course or event and you have no intention of working afterwards you need a visitor visa, usually issued electronically.

DO NOT apply for a student visa.

If you plan to work after training you need a work visa. Unless you have sponsorship from an employer, it will be a Working Holiday Visa, normally issued online, to applicants up to the age of 30. You must be a citizen of a country which has a reciprocal arrangement with Australia.

Apply for a visa for Australia online

Still in doubt?

For further advice send a message to Flying Fish.

A is for AppleIf you have any concerns about your health we suggest you speak to your own medical doctor or physician about your fitness to take part in sports activities at Flying Fish.


If you are travelling, you should also make sure you are aware of any immigration health requirements for countries you intend to visit after leaving us.

See Health advice for travellers from the Australian Government.

Search our courses and events worldwide

Existing conditions

When you book your place on a Flying Fish course or event you are asked to declare any medical conditions that may affect you.

If you become aware of a problem while you are with us please speak in confidence to a senior member of staff.

Yachtmaster and crew training courses

For details of medical requirements for captains and crew set by the UK’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency see our MCA medicals section. If you have any doubts about your fitness you should go for your medical exam before joining Flying Fish.

Colour blindness

If you are colour blind, affecting your ability to distinguish lights, please consider having an eye test before joining a Yachtmaster or crew training course.

More information on colour blindness and eye tests in our MCA medicals section.

Scuba diving

See PADI medicals for details of the PADI self-assessment questionnaire and the medical requirements to train as a Divemaster or PADI Open Water Instructor.

Travel insurance

Don’t forget you need travel insurance including medical cover if you are joining Flying Fish outside your home country (see the travel insurance tab above).

Living expenses

Some people join Flying Fish with a lot of spending money but most are on a budget.
If you stay in our accommodation you will share a kitchen with housemates from your course or event and you can eat quite cheaply.

Expenses in the UK

In the UK your accommodation ashore is self-catering. You should budget for evenings out and for occasional meals away from base. We recommend a minimum of £130 a week.

When you are staying on board your food is provided but if there is a crew decision to eat in the pub you will be expected to pay your bill.

Australia and Greece

In Australia or Greece you will stay in shared, self-catering accommodation.

We recommend €250 a week in Greece, $300 in Australia. If you can afford more you will find it easy to spend, but it won’t be strictly necessary.

As in the UK, when you are living on a yacht your food will be provided but you will have to pay for occasional meals ashore. If you have lost a certificate from a Flying Fish course you can buy a replacement here.

Issued by Flying Fish

  • STCW Basic Safety Training $75 for each individual certificate or for the package certificate.
  • RYA Competent Crew $75
  • RYA Day Skipper Practical $75
  • RYA Coastal Skipper Practical $75
  • RYA Powerboat Level 2 $75
  • RYA Diesel $75
  • RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Theory $75
  • RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Theory $75
  • CIEH Food Safety Level 2 $75

To order replacement certificates from the list above please contact us, stating your name and the approximate date of your course. Don’t forget to say which certificate(s) you need.

Don’t use this link if you did not train with Flying Fish. Go back to your training organisation.

Certificates issued by the RYA

If you have lost your VHF Radio (SRC) or other certificate issued direct by the RYA please go to the RYA online where you can log in or do a site search for lost certificates.


Flying Fish promises to deliver professional training and associated services of the highest standard.

You have a right to expect the best and our reputation depends on this.

We are always happy to help with personal advice on the phone or by email.