Dinghy Sailing Instructor Fast Track
The Dinghy Sail Instructor Fast-track programme is designed for basic intermediate sailors who want to fast-track their skills in a stunning location and progress to become an RYA-qualified instructor quickly.
To gain the RYA instructor qualification you need to demonstrate good sailing skills, theory knowledge, safety awareness, and an effective coaching style.
The Fast Track program has been designed to develop your skills rapidly in a fantastic sailing environment.
You will develop an imaginative approach to teaching safe and efficient sailing, as well as the theory that underlies it.
Week 1 - RYA Level 2/3 sailing skills
Week 2 - RYA Race training / Spinnaker handling
Week 3 - RYA Seamanship Skills/ Day Sailing /RYA PB Level 2
Week 4 - RYA Dinghy Instructor / First Aid
The course is based in an absolutely spectacular setting at Middle Harbour Yacht Club on Sydney Harbour.
The weather is generally warm, sunny, and windy and the sailing area is extensive with plenty of stunning beaches just a short sail away. You will experience magnificent sailing in a beautiful location.
The club is also home to the Australian Olympic Sailing Team.
Equipment and staff
Our training fleet includes RS Zests, Laser Pico single-handers, and Laser Bahias, two-person dinghies with trapeze and asymmetric spinnakers.
We also have a range of paddleboards and windsurfers.
Our RYA-qualified instructors are friendly, experienced, and professional.
Where to stay ashore
If you don't live in Sydney you may need a place to stay for the duration of your course.
Most of our international and interstate students stay in the stunning beachside suburb of Manly. Many book their own accommodation through AirBnB or at one of the budget accommodation facilities.
We also have limited availability in Flying Fish serviced crew apartments in Manly, staying with other Flying Fish customers on one of Australia's most beautiful beaches. Please contact us to check prices and availability.
- Tuition, logbook, pre-course reading, training resources, and certification.
- PFDs are provided and we can loan you wet weather clothing if required.
Qualifications and skills
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- TCP First Aid / RYA Safe and Fun
- RYA Dinghy Instructor
Before you start
- Our 4-week Fast-track course is suitable for intermediate dinghy sailors and those with basic experience.
- If you are starting as a beginner you may need to complete some extra weekend skills training whilst you are with us.
- On passing the RYA Dinghy Instructor qualification you are ready to start work on the water as a sailing instructor.
- If you join us in Sydney in October / November you will be well timed for work in the Australian high season when you finish.
- If you prefer Sydney in February / March you could return to Europe in time for the Mediterranean season.