Whitsunday Islands to Sydney
This is a magnificent voyage and an excellent opportunity for experienced sailors to gain sea miles and offshore qualifying passages, in preparation for assessment for the RYA Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence.
- $3,990.00 incl. GST
The passage begins at Hamilton Island Marina. We sail south through the magic miles of the Whitsundays and the Keppel islands before heading through the Great Sandy Straits to Southport.
Then, after a short layover for some well-earned R and R, it is on to Coffs Harbour, Port Stevens, and finally Middle Harbour Yacht Club in Sydney two weeks later.
We will plan the precise route to take the best advantage of the weather. Whatever the forecast you are guaranteed varied sailing conditions and some navigational challenges en route.
You will develop your skills and experience in the following key areas
- Preparation for sea
- Safety equipment and procedures
- Pilotage and passage planning
- Offshore navigation
- Preparing for heavy weather
- Helming, sail trim, and boat handling offshore
- Watchkeeping and night passages
- Crew management and the role of the skipper
Weather en route
You can expect the weather to be warm at the start in Hamilton Island and to get progressively cooler as you make your way south towards Sydney.
Expect to get a variety of wind strengths and directions at this time of the year.
The yacht and the instructor
The passage will be run by a friendly and experienced RYA-qualified, instructor.
You will be on board one of our Beneteau First 40-foot training yachts which are fully set up for offshore sailing.
- Accommodation with meals on the yacht, fuel and consumables, marina fees, safety equipment, tuition, and publications.
- We can lend you wet weather clothing if you need it.
- Flights are not included.
- Expect to eat ashore for a couple of nights at your own expense.
- 1,000 sea miles logged.
- RYA Yachtmaster qualifying passages
- Watchkeeping experience.
Before you start
- No formal qualifications are required but your sailing and navigation skills should be at RYA Competent Crew level or equivalent.
- At the end of the course, your instructor will give you feedback on your sailing and skippering ability and make recommendations for your future training and experience.