Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR)
Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR) is a compulsory online course for qualified RYA Yachtmasters who require a Commercial Endorsement. Ignore the dates shown here!
Once you have booked and paid the course fee online, you will receive a username and password to allow you to access the interactive PPR section of the RYA website.
You study in your own time and take the exam when it suits you.
We strongly recommend that you complete all the training modules on the RYA website before you take the exam.
- Commercial environment – how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures.
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
Following the modules there is a mock assessment so you can check you are ready before moving on to the final graded online assessment. Candidates usually take between six and eight hours to work through the four course modules.
How to take the PPR course
You can take this course online at any time before applying for or renewing your Commercial Endorsement.
Technical support, online training, exam fee and certification.
If you have to re-take your exam, there is a charge of £5, payable direct to the RYA.
- Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR)
Before you start
There are no formal pre-course requirements.
Exemptions from this course: You do not need to take the PPR course if you hold an MCA Certificate of Competency as Officer of the Watch or Master. This does not include the Master of Yachts 200 gt endorsement which you may have on your RYA Yachtmaster certificate.
Updating your PPR certificate: After you have taken your first PPR course you will need to take a short refresher course and a new test when you renew your Commercial Endorsement.
If you are over 65 and subject to more regular medical fitness examinations, you do not need to take the PPR course each time you renew your medical.