Essential Navigation and Seamanship - Online
This self paced online course provides a beginner's introduction to the navigation theory and safety knowledge required to go boating safely at sea.
This online course is for anyone interested in sailing or boating.
It forms a valuable companion course to our entry-level sailing and powerboating courses including RYA Competent Crew and RYA Day Skipper Practical NSW Boat Licence, and RYA Powerboat Level 2.
- Introduction to the tools of the navigator
- Charts, datums
- Latitude, longitude, and position fixing symbols
- Variation and deviation
- Electronic navigation
- Rules of the road
- Weather forecasts
- Pilotage and passage planning
- Online course login
- RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship course pack includes basic navigation tools
- Instructor support if required
- RYA ESS certificate of course completion.
Before you start
No previous experience is required, the course is suitable for newcomers to boating.
If you plan to skipper your own boat or are considering commercial qualifications you should go on to complete Day Skipper Shorebased Theory and Day Skipper Practical courses.