Yachtmaster Coastal Fast Track
The Yachtmaster Coastal Fast-Track in Sydney takes you from novice sailor to RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence.
- $13,590.00 incl.
- $13,590.00 incl.
- $13,590.00 incl.
- $13,590.00 incl.
Flying Fish has been training professional Yachtmasters for more than twenty years. Our customers include men and women of all ages, nationalities and backgrounds.
Our innovative course programme provides an exhilarating mix of training and a reliable route to certification.
We promise you expert tuition, a stimulating learning environment and a great Australian sailing adventure.
The programme is a package of individual training courses built into a balanced and progressive training schedule.
Training time is divided between live-aboard periods, day sailing courses and shore-based theory classes.
Weekends are usually free but we encourage you to join our dinghy sailing and windsurfing classes (at no cost) to develop core sailing skills or join a Flying Fish weekend course as a mate to one of our qualified yacht instructors.
For racing enthusiasts, there is also the chance to go yacht racing with owners at Middle Harbour Yacht Club
For a full breakdown of the week by week training schedule see the Faq section below.
Fantastic sailing areas
The course is based in the spectacular setting of the Flying Fish Sail Academy at Middle Harbour Yacht Club, Sydney.
You sail in Sydney Harbour, Australia's favourite yachting playground, cruising past the Opera House and under the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Offshore you explore the New South Wales coast, heading south to Jervis Bay or north to Pittwater, Seal Rocks and Coffs Harbour.
Weather conditions vary from warm sea breezes to cool southerly busters. You will experience magnificent seascapes, dolphins, whales and, of course, flying fish. This is offshore sailing at its best!
Equipment and instructors
We operate a fleet of excellent training vessels including Beneteau 40.7 cruiser racers, SV Arctos (a Radford 55 built for a southern ocean circumnavigation) and our luxury yacht Calypso, a state of the art Moody 54 Deck Saloon.
We also have a fleet of Laser Bahia and RS Zest training dinghies and Highfield rigid inflatable boats which we use in the early part of the programme.
For shore-based training, we have a comfortable waterside classroom equipped with a variety of modern teaching aids and equipment.
Our team of experienced instructors will guide you through your programme in the friendly and professional style that is the hallmark of Flying Fish.
Where to stay ashore
If you don't live in Sydney you will need a place to stay for the duration of your course.
We have limited availability in Flying Fish serviced crew apartments in Manly, staying with other Flying Fish customers on one of Australia's most beautiful beaches. Or you can book your own place.
For more information see the FAQ section below.
- Tuition, logbook, pre-course reading, training resources, and certification.
- Life jackets and safety harnesses are provided and we can loan you wet weather clothing if required.
- Shared cabin accommodation and meals onboard on live-aboard passages
- All vessels have an enclosed bathroom on board.
- Fast track customers can join our weekend dinghy and windsurf classes free of charge
- RYA YM exam fees (approximately $465) are not included and are payable directly to the RYA on the exam day.
Qualifications and experience
For a full list of the qualifications and experience acquired on the programme see the Faq section below
Before you start
The course is designed for newcomers to sailing and for anyone with previous experience who would like to recap basic skills in a superb sailing environment.
- If you leave the course as a qualified, commercially endorsed Yachtmaster Coastal you will be ready to start work as a skipper.
- Yachtmaster Coastal is a great starting point but operations are limited to 20 miles from port so you will find you need to upgrade to Yachtmaster Offshore quite quickly.
- Check out Yachtmaster Offshore Fast Track for an ab-initio pathway to the Yachtmaster Offshore / Master of Yachts 200 certification.
- Course programme
- Week 1 - RYA Powerboat Level 2 (2 days) / Dinghy Sailing Level 1/2 (2 days) /Marine First Aid (1 day) / ACMA Marine Radio Operator (1 day)
- Week 2 - RYA Competent Crew (5 days live-aboard)
- Week 3 - RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Theory
- Week 4 - RYA Day Skipper Practical (5 days live-aboard)
- Week 5 - Racing and Spinnakers (2 days) / Basic Yacht Maintenance (3 days)
- Week 6 - RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Theory (6 days)
- Week 7 - RYA Coastal Skipper Practical (5 days live-aboard)
- Week 8 - Yachtmaster Practical Skills (5 days)
- Week 9 - Yachtmaster Prep and Exam Week - Offshore (5 days live-aboard)
- The above programme may be run in a different order but the training units are correct
- Qualifications and experience
- Approx 900 sea miles logged
- RYA Competent Crew
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased
- RYA Day Skipper Practical
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- TCP Marine First Aid
- RYA Diesel Engine certificate
- Basic Yacht Maintenance
- RYA Dinghy Level 1 or 2
- Intro Racing and Spinnaker handling course
- ACMA VHF/HF GMDSS Radio Licence
- RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased
- RYA Coastal Skipper
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (Sail)
- Where to stay ashore
- Flying Fish crew apartments - stay with other Flying Fish customers on one of Australia’s most beautiful beaches. Our crew apartments in Manly are comfortably furnished for shared living and only a short bus ride or Uber share to our training centre at Middle Harbour Yacht Club. Room share (twin or triple with ensuite) $690 per week / single room $990 per week. Book your accommodation package when you book your course. We only offer accommodation packages for the full duration of the programme.
- Book your own Backpackers In Manly – basic accommodation for those on a budget (approx $50 / night for 4-6 berth mixed dormitory)
- Book your own Air BNB at various prices and standards.
- Visas for international students
- Apart from Aussies and Kiwis, everybody traveling to Australia needs to apply in advance for a visa. Don't apply for a student visa. These are only available for government-sanctioned higher education courses at universities and other tertiary establishments. Tourist visas or working holiday visas (for those who want to work) are fine.
- What happens if I fail the Yachtmaster exams?
- We do our best to make sure that you don't. But if the worst comes to the worst you'll go away with an action plan to complete. Usually, this involves revising some missing skills or knowledge and then resitting the exam.
- Over 90% of our Yachtmaster candidates pass first time