Yachtmaster Shorebased Theory
On completing this course you will have a thorough knowledge of all the theory required for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence.
This course is essential preparation for those working towards their Yachtmaster Coastal or Offshore practical Certificate of Competence.
A Yachtmaster Shorebased Theory certificate is also a mandatory requirement under the MCA Large Yacht Code (Superyachts) for all Masters and Deck Officers operating on vessels from 24 m to 3000 tonnes.
Marine Charts and Position
- Projections, depths, heights and datums, distance and symbols.
- Latitude and longitude, position fixing, position lines
Tools of the Navigator
- Ships compass, plotter, depthsounder, speed log, deck log.
- Direction, compass variation, deviation and error.
- Tide causes, tide terms, range, springs and neaps, tide tables
- Tidal heights, standard & secondary ports, high and low water curves
Tidal Streams and Navigation
- Tidal streams, set and drift, diamonds, tidal stream atlas, computation of rates.
- Dead reckoning, estimated position, course to steer, leeway, overfalls and races.
Buoyage and Lights
- IALA buoyage (A and B),
- Lights, characteristics, sectored lights, ranges (visual, luminous and nominal), rising and dipping distances
- Pilotage planning, transits, clearing lines, leading lines, use of soundings.
- Harbour regulations and signals.
- Basic terms, global weather pattern, highs and lows, air masses and fronts, frontal depression, synoptic charts.
- local effects, fog, sea and land breeze, thunderstorms, katabatic winds. Weather forecasts and the barometer.
Safety at Sea
- Personal safety (lifejackets, harness and lifelines), distress signals, liferafts, safety management system.
- Stability, heavy weather, restricted visibility, high traffic.
- Working up a plan, victualling, before take off checklists, log set up.
- Route planning, course shaping, charts prepared, GPS route set up, communication schedule, watch system organised.
- Steering and sailing rules, lights and shapes.
- Detailed knowledge of the collision regulations
You will sit three exams during the course and will be awarded the RYA Yachtmaster theory certificate on successful completion of all three.