Yachtmaster Shorebased Theory
On completing this course you will have a thorough knowledge of all the theory required for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence.
This course is essential preparation for those working towards a Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence and is a requirement under the MCA Large Yacht Code (Superyachts) for masters and deck officers operating on vessels from 24 m to 3000 tonnes.
Marine Charts and Position
- Projections, depths, heights and datums, distance and symbols.
- Latitude and longitude, position fixing, position lines
Tools of the Navigator
- Ships compass, plotter, depthsounder, speed log, deck log.
- Direction, compass variation, deviation and error.
- Tide causes, tide terms, range, springs and neaps, tide tables
- Tidal heights, standard & secondary ports, high and low water curves
Tidal Streams and Navigation
- Tidal streams, set and drift, diamonds, tidal stream atlas, computation of rates.
- Dead reckoning, estimated position, course to steer, leeway, overfalls and races.
Buoyage and Lights
- IALA buoyage (A and B),
- Lights, characteristics, sectored lights, ranges (visual, luminous and nominal), rising and dipping distances
- Pilotage planning, transits, clearing lines, leading lines, use of soundings.
- Harbour regulations and signals.
- Basic terms, global weather pattern, highs and lows, air masses and fronts, frontal depression, synoptic charts.
- local effects, fog, sea and land breeze, thunderstorms, katabatic winds. Weather forecasts and the barometer.
Safety at Sea
- Personal safety (lifejackets, harness and lifelines), distress signals, liferafts, safety management system.
- Stability, heavy weather, restricted visibility, high traffic.
- Working up a plan, victualling, before take off checklists, log set up.
- Route planning, course shaping, charts prepared, GPS route set up, communication schedule, watch system organised.
- Steering and sailing rules, lights and shapes.
- Detailed knowledge of the collision regulations
You will sit three exams during the course and will be awarded the RYA Yachtmaster theory certificate on successful completion of all three.