Hamilton Island Race Week
Hamilton Island Race Week is one of Australia’s favourite yachting events. Perfectly situated amongst Queensland's Whitsunday Islands, Hamilton Island offers fabulous trade wind sailing conditions in a tropical paradise.
The Flying Fish programme begins with two days of race training around the stunning Whitsunday Islands to give the crew a chance to familiarise themselves with the boat and to settle into crew roles before the regatta.
During the training days, you learn about race crew roles, spinnaker packing, hoisting, trimming, gybing, dropping, and broach recovery.
We always aim to do well but our number one priority is to make sure everyone on board feels involved, learns something, and enjoys being part of the crew.
Hamilton Island Race Week is a day sailing regatta. We generally depart the marina by around 10 am and are back ashore by 5 pm.
- Thursday - Arrivals
- Friday - FF crew training / registration
- Saturday - FF crew training
- Sunday - Short Around-the-Islands race
- Monday - Short Around-the-Islands race
- Tuesday - Short Around-the-Islands race
- Wednesday - Lay day - Shoreside activities
- Thursday - Short Around-the-Islands race
- Friday - Short Around-the-Islands race
- Saturday - Short Around-the-Islands race
Location and sailing conditions
Sailing in the Whitsunday islands at this time of the year is spectacular.
You can expect fresh trade winds, azure blue tropical waters, and stunning white sandy beaches.
Expect to see dolphins, whales, dugongs, and of course Flying Fish!
Great yachts and instructors
The week will be skippered by one of our friendly, qualified, and experienced instructors. You train and compete onboard one of our Beneteau race-tuned yachts.
The 'apres sail' activities at Hamilton Island offer something for everyone. Fine wining and dining, cheap eats, cocktail parties, and great bands.
Training, racing, lifejackets, race crew shirt.
- Our price does not include accommodation on board the yacht.
- You can book a private cabin on board as an optional extra for $1495 for 10 nights.
- If you prefer a little more comfort we recommend you make arrangements to stay in one of the many fantastic resorts on the island.
Before you start
- As a minimum, we recommend you have completed a Competent Crew certificate or have equivalent experience.
- If you haven't done much racing before you should join us for Introduction to Spinnakers and Racing to learn a few tricks of the trade.
- Your new found spinnaker handling skills and knowledge of race techniques will help you get race crew positions both inshore and offshore.
- With a little offshore experience, you will be ready to join Flying Fish for the Sydney to Hobart Race.
- Ian Horrocks - Brisbane
- Hamo Race week - 2018 & 2019
- Once again your organisation has provided a sensational experience for race week. The sailing this year provided excellent opportunities to learn and enjoy some close-quarters racing in quite challenging conditions.
- Phil Thuaux - Australia
- Hamo Race week - 2018
- “ Just wanted to say a big ‘Thank You’ to you all for putting on a great week of sailing at Hamilton Island last month. I was really pleased with the way Flying Fish had the week organized, and how it was managed day-to-day. Your relaxed approach both on and off the water was fantastic and catered well for a broad mix of experiences amongst the participants on the boat. ”
- Lyndsay Barnes - UK
- Yachtmaster Offshore Fast Track
- “ Joining the Flying Fish Yachtmaster programme was one of the best decisions I ever made, My new office is floating on Sydney Harbour. If you’re considering doing the course, sign up now and don’t give it a second thought. But be warned, it could change your life ”