International Certificate of Competence (ICC)
As a skipper, you must make yourself aware of any qualifications required when visiting another country. In the countries of Europe, the ICC will usually prove evidence of competence to the local authority or a charter company.
To book Enquire here
Own boat ICC assessment
- one candidate $795 (4 hours)
- two candidates $1195 (7 hours)
- one candidate 3 hours training plus assessment $1195 (7 hours)
ICC assessment on Flying Fish Yacht
- one candidate $1495 (4 hours)
- two candidates $1795 (7 hours)
- one candidate 3 hours training plus assessment $1795 (7 hours)
The International Certificate of Competence's (ICC) validity is determined by the country being visited, so it is not a truly international qualification.
The ICC does not replace the need to comply with any manning requirements imposed by the country in which the boat is registered, wherever in the world the boat may be.
In general terms, an ICC is required for the inland waterways of Europe and for coastal waters of the UK and Mediterranean countries.
The ICC is also increasingly recommended for charterers in Australia as it provides external validation of your competence.
To be issued an ICC for a sailing vessel your skills and knowledge must be the equivalent of an RYA Day Skipper.
Our examiners can assess you on your own boat or you can book the use of one of ours.
Assessment for the ICC
The four-hour assessment is both practical and theoretical and covers the following areas
- Rules and regulations
- Berthing and close-quarter handling
- Man Overboard recovery
- Emergency situations
- Boat handling under power and sail.
The assessment takes place at Flying Fish Sail Academy at Sydney's Middle Harbour Yacht Club, Mosman.
Course for ICC
If you successfully complete an RYA Day Skipper Practical course you are eligible for an ICC without further assessment.
Assessment on your own boat - or you can book the use of a Flying Fish sailing yacht.
- International Certificate for Operator of Pleasure Craft (ICC)
Before you start
- Your skills and knowledge are equivalent to RYA Day Skipper.
- You should provide your own crew - a minimum of one.