NSW Boat Licence
This course provides all the practical training and theory knowledge you need to get your NSW Boat Licence in one, fun day. The course is delivered in a fun, hands-on way by an expert instructor.
During the day you will spend the morning in the classroom and the afternoon on Sydney Harbour learning to drive our rigid inflatable rescue craft.
- Safety and preparation (kill cord, life jackets, communications, crew position and safety)
- High speed handling (trim, stability, driving position, crew safety, waves, quick stop)
- Low speed handling (close quarters, standing off, wind and tide)
- Rules of the road (application of basic IRPCS whilst underway)
- Seamanship skills (anchoring, berthing, handling lines, mooring buoys)
- Emergency situations (types of emergency, man overboard recovery, marine radio distress calls)
- Personal equipment (clothing, lifejackets etc)
- Parts of the boat (basic terminology)
- On board safety
- Types of craft (hull types, engines, fuel)
- Basic weather (forecasts, sea state, effect of wind and tide)
- Buoyage, basic collision regulations (IRPCS)
- Legal responsibilities and obligations.
RYA Powerboat Level 2
For an internationally accredited certificate join our 2 day RYA Powerboat Level 2 course. (see below). This also converts to a NSW boat licence.
Private course - save money
Arrange your own small group and we can schedule a private course for you.
- Max 4 people - $1185
- Max 8 people - $2370
Please register interest in this using the button top left
Safety equipment, logbook, PFD and foul weather clothing if required
- Australian Sailing Start Powerboating Certificate
- Get your NSW General Boat Licence by taking the certificate you receive on this course, together with photo ID and the licence fee, to an RMS office (NSW Roads and Maritime) within 1 year.
Before you start
The course is suitable for beginners.
If you are 16 years or over you are eligible for the NSW General Boat Licence.
A Restricted Boat Licence is available for those aged 12 to 15.
Personal Watercraft (PWC) Licence
If you want to drive a Jetski, or other personal watercraft, in New South Wales you need to obtain a PWC Licence
Once you have your General Boat Licence you can upgrade to a PWC licence by taking the PWC knowledge test. We will provide further information about how to get this when you book your course.
Marine Radio Licence
If you are operating a marine radio in NSW you must also hold an ACMA Marine Radio Licence
Marine First Aid
All boat operators are strongly advised to complete a Marine First Aid course. If you are involved in towing operations it is mandatory for the master to hold a first aid certification.
Jason Crawley - 'The course was magnificent! I’m now fully addicted to the life aquatic'
Sean Ruffner - Really enjoyed today. Thank you very much for making it perfect.
Jeanette Kim - The instructor was awesome! Made the lessons clear, fun and very informative. They focus on water safety and everything you need, to enjoy your time out on your boat. What are you waiting for? Get a boat licence and enjoy our beautiful harbour!
This course provides the safety boat handling skills needed to support water-based activities at clubs, schools and outdoor recreation centres.
This course provides intensive training in the practical skills and theory knowledge needed by the small boat driver. You will learn to drive our rigid inflatable rescue craft.
This self paced online course provides a beginner's introduction to the navigation theory and safety knowledge required to go boating safely at sea.
This course has been specifically designed for those working in the marine environment and is ideal for boat owners, watersports instructors, yacht skippers and crew. The course leads to an internationally recognised first aid qualification.
This one day Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) approved course teaches you to use VHF (Short Range) as well as MF and HF (Long Range) radio for distress, urgency, safety and general calls. The course includes GMDSS and DSC