An RYA Yachtmaster Certificate is widely recognised as the benchmark qualification for professional yacht captains and is a passport to worldwide employment in the yachting industry.
Recreational skippers should also consider a Yachtmaster qualification as part of their due diligence in providing a duty of care to their crew.
Committed to quality
Flying Fish have been training Yachtmasters for more than twenty years. Our graduates have gone on to become, deck officers on superyachts, round the world race skippers, charter and delivery yacht captains and Flying Fish instructors training the next generation.
Our customers include men and women from many countries and walks of life and our programmes are suitable for experienced sailors and newcomers alike.
Our experienced staff are committed to providing cutting edge training on excellent yachts in a fantastic location. Whatever your previous experience, we can help you find the right pathway to this prestigious qualification.
Yachtmaster certificates are issued at three levels.
Yachtmaster Coastal is restricted to operations within 20 miles of port.
Yachtmaster Offshore is valid for use up to 150 miles from a safe haven.
Yachtmaster Ocean is unrestricted by distance.
Flying Fish full time Yachtmaster Fast Track packages provide an efficient and reliable route to certification and can be customised to suit individual requirements.
If you are already experienced, or prefer to take things slowly, choose from a menu of Yachtmaster Short Courses and let us help you create a ‘personal training plan’ to suit your needs.
All Yachtmaster exam candidates require the following.
- Radio operator’s certificate (restricted VHF or higher grade of certificate)
- First aid certificate (on the RYA approved list)
- Theory knowledge to RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Theory standard
- Boat handling and navigation ability to Yachtmaster standard.
- Required sea time and qualifying passages logged in the 10 years prior to examination
Yachtmaster Coastal candidates need the following logged experience.
- Seatime (30 days on board, two days as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours)
- For holders of the RYA Coastal Skipper certificate the seatime requirement is reduced to 20 days on board, two days as skipper, 400 miles, 12 night hours
Yachtmaster Offshore candidates must show the following minimum experience.
- Seatime (50 days on board, five days as skipper, 2500 miles)
- Qualifying passages (five passages over 60 miles, including two overnight and two as skipper)
For commercial use of a Yachtmaster certificate you will also require the qualifications below.
- An RYA, ISAF or STCW approved Sea Survival qualification.
- RYA online Professional Practices and Responsibilities course (PPR).
- A valid certificate of medical fitness.
- An RYA diesel engine certificate (Australia only)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 (Australia only)