The RYA Yachtmaster certificate is widely recognised as the benchmark qualification for professional yacht captains and is a passport to worldwide employment on yachts and superyachts.
For recreational skippers getting a Yachtmaster certificate is an external validation of competence and is increasingly seen as an important part of your duty of care to your crew.
Flying Fish have been training Yachtmasters in Sydney, since 1996. Our customers include both men and women aged from 18 to 65 plus and come from all corners of the globe. They always bring with them a valuable resource of skills and experience.
Previous ‘Fish’ graduates have gone on to work as round-the-world race skippers, charter yacht captains, deck officers on superyachts and Flying Fish instructors training the next generation.
Our friendly and experienced team of staff includes Yachtmaster Examiners, Yachtmaster Ocean Instructors and Yachtmaster Instructors. We are committed to providing quality training on excellent yachts in a fantastic location.
Yachtmaster Fast Track
Imagine taking three months out to learn new skills in a challenging and exhilarating environment. You will discover your potential, greatly improve your sailing and develop valuable leadership and teamwork skills that will make you a confident skipper. You will leave the course with a package of internationally recognised qualifications and some lasting friendships. Whether you choose a career in sailing afterwards, go back to your old job, or go on to study you will have had the adventure of a lifetime and a great deal of fun.
Our full time Yachtmaster Fast Track programmes are suitable for both experienced sailors and newcomers alike. They provide an efficient and reliable route to certification and can also be customised to suit individual requirements.
If you prefer to take things slowly, choose from a menu of Yachtmaster Short Courses and let us create a personal training plan to suit your needs.
Whatever your previous experience, we can help you find the right pathway to this prestigious qualification.
Examinations for Yachtmaster certificates of competence are conducted on board by RYA appointed Yachtmaster Examiners. Certificates are issued at three levels.
Yachtmaster Coastal is restricted to operations within 20 miles of port, Yachtmaster Offshore is valid for use up to 150 miles from a safe haven and Yachtmaster Ocean is unrestricted by distance.
All Yachtmaster candidates require the following prior to examination.
- Radio operator’s certificate (restricted VHF or higher grade of certificate)
- First aid certificate (on the RYA approved list)
- Theory knowledge to RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased Theory standard
- Boat handling and navigation ability to Yachtmaster Practical Skills standard.
- Required sea time and qualifying passages logged in the 10 years prior to examination.
Sea time requirements
- Yachtmaster Coastal sea-time – 30 days on board, 2 days as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours (For holders of the RYA Coastal Skipper certificate seatime is reduced to 20 days on board, 2 days as skipper, 400 miles, 12 night hours)
- Yachtmaster Offshore sea-time – 50 days on board, 5 days as skipper, 2500 miles, 5 x qualifying passages (over 60 miles), including 2 overnight and 2 as skipper)
Yachtmaster commercial use
To use your Yachtmaster certificate commercially you will also need.
- An ISAF approved Sea Survival qualification.
- RYA online Professional Practices and Responsibilities course (PPR).
And specifically for commercial operations in Australia under AMSA Ex 18
A certificate of medical fitness is also required
Details for certificate of medical fitness in Australia