Competent Crew - 5 days
This live-aboard course provides a comprehensive introduction to yachting and leads to a Royal Yachting Association (RYA) certificate. The course is designed for novice sailors who would like to become useful and active crew members.
The week will be broken into short passages and skills and drills.
You will learn essential boat handling skills, how to steer and trim the sails and how to manage safety and seamanship on board.
By the end of the week you will be a confident crew member ready to join a crew on a short passage.
- Knowledge of sea terms, parts of the boat etc
- Sail handling (bend on, set, reef, trim, flake)
- The use of winches, clutches and halyards
- Ropework (coiling, stowing, use of cleats, knots)
- The points of sailing, upwind and tacking, downwind and gybing
- The five essentials of sailing, helming and trimming on all points
- Steering to a compass under power and sail.
- Crew duties during mooring, berthing, and anchoring.
- Personal safety, man overboard and other emergency situations.
- Rules of the road, basic meteorology and chart-work
- Night sailing cooking and living on board.
Location and sailing conditions
You will sail around Sydney Harbour, and sometimes north to Pittwater or south to Port Hacking.
We plan the itinerary on the first day to take best advantage of the weather.
The sailing conditions are generally excellent.
During July and August we run a small number of courses from Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays.
The scenery and anchorages are magnificent and the weather is generally excellent for sailing.
You can expect to see dolphins, whales and of course Flying Fish!
The yacht and the instructor
This course will be run on board one of our comfortable fast Beneteau yachts by an accredited RYA Yacht Cruising Instructor.
You live on board with your fellow students and take part in all aspects of running the boat.
Private course - great value
Arrange your own group of up to 5 people, and pay for 4 places.
This is a great thing to do with family or friends. Kids are welcome too.
Register your interest above